New to the Shek blog for the 2012 season, some interesting numbers provided by NFL.com stats guy/Philly Flyers wonk Bill Sudell to help get you ready for the weekend’s action. Sudsy’s choice in hockey allegiance may be questionable, but you can’t argue with the statistics he’s provided below. With no further ado, here ya go…
CAROLINA at TAMPA
The Buccaneers run defense has been atrocious. Check out these numbers:
- 26 rush TD allowed in 2011 (Most in NFL). In the last five games they allowed 13 TDs on the ground.
- 79 runs of 10+ yards allowed in 2011 (Most in NFL)
- In the last 6 games, they allowed 37 runs of 10+ yards. San Francisco allowed 27 all season.
- This preseason, they allowed a league-worst 163.8 yards per game on the ground, 20 yards per game worse than any other team. This week they face Cam Newton whose 14 rush TD were second among all players in 2011 and DeAngelo Williams who has 9 total TD in 10 career games vs TB.
JAX at MINNY
- The Vikings are equally as bad defending the pass. In the last 11 games, Minnesota allowed 28 pass TD with only 2 INTs in that stretch….
- Last season, the Jags scored 20 points or less 15 times, while the Vikings allowed 20 points or more 14 times. Something’s got to give in Week 1.
MIAMI at HOUSTON
- Houston is 6-0 all-time against Miami. Four of those wins came by 3 points or less.
- The Dolphins were the only team without a defensive INT in the preseason.
- New England was the only team without a fumble recovery.
D.C. at NOLA
- Drew Brees has thrown for 300+ yards in 7 straight games, an NFL record
ST LOUIS at DETROIT
- Sam Bradford has thrown 1 TD pass or less in 15 straight games
- Steven Jackson has scored multiple touchdowns once in his last 46 games
PHILLY at CLEVELAND
- LeSean McCoy scored a touchdown in 13 of the 15 games he played in 2011. Jeremy Maclin has 11 TD in his last 14 road games.
- Meanwhile, the Browns have allowed 1 total TD pass in their last 5 home games.
SEATTLE at ARIZONA
- The Seahawks scored points on 13 of the 19 drives Russell Wilson led during the preseason.